It just happened. The goal was to edit a 6-8 minute report about the Iraqi wetlands. Easy job - maximum two days of work. Like always the broadcaster expected a 25i SD version. We received the source files on a hard disc. As we discovered everything was shot with a Canon 5D Mark2 and Mark3 in 1080p. It was 100s of GB of material.
This is how the progressive interlaced odyssey in our post production house started. The clip files of both cameras were apparently copied to the same folder. We tried AMA and it actually worked (without having any TC), but it was way too slow for editing. We were looking at around 8 hours worth of source material that needed to be transcoded to DNxHD - of course we didnt start editing that day.